Earth Care Congregation
We are one of the first churches in the PC(USA) to become
an Earth Care Congregation (in 2010) & we have renewed each year since—including 2021. We are pledged in Worship, Education, Facilities, & Outreach to honor “The Earth that is the Lord’s and all that is in it” with peace and justice.
We build together
● upon Noah’s covenant with God which includes
humans and all creatures,
● upon Christ as God’s incarnated, “in-Earthed” gift
of love in this time and place by
● organizing annual Earth Sabbaths, usually in the spring at New Hope Camp and
● organizing an annual Native American Sunday
We continue our study and action related to the Doctrine of Discovery. As a result we’ve worked with our Session to honor Indigenous People in our area with a land acknowledgement (see our statement, “Honoring First People and the Land” in the narthex).
● planning educational films and Second Hours
● Members have led letter writing to leaders on important environmental issues; they provide email updates on legislative matters & other bulletin inserts offering Earth-caring tips (post-pandemic notes are included in the church’s weekly e-blasts).
WE NEED NEW HELPERS; GOD’S GOOD EARTH IS IN GREAT NEED!—
We welcome anyone, youths to elders, to join us in expanding our work. We believe the Spirit works among us as we share our enthusiasms—the more diverse, the merrier.
We generally meet monthly on third Thursdays at 7:00 p.m. but we welcome folks joining us just for special projects.